What is the Body Image Movement?
We’re on a quest to redefine and rewrite the ideals of beauty. Body Image Movement’s job is to harness and facilitate positive body image activism by encouraging women to be more accepting of who they are, to use positive language regarding their bodies and others, and to prioritise health before beauty. Our goal is to reach as many women as possible around the world and speak to them about how we can learn to fully embrace and love our bodies.
We say no to…
- Excessive “Photoshopping” of body images in the media
- Being programmed by the media and corporations into accepting unrealistic body images
- Prescribing to the notion that being a certain weight determines whether you’re healthy
- Sexualisation of women in the media and modern culture
- Women being treated as sexual objects and the objectification of women
- Society and advertising preying on women’s insecurities
And we say yes to…
- Body diversity and embracing all body types, shapes, sizes, colours and revelling in the beauty of the human form
- Celebrating the journey our bodies have been on
- Giving an alternative to cosmetic surgery, and learning to live and love your body
- Growing old, and acknowledging the privilege to do so
- Women focusing on things that are important, rather than comparing ourselves to others
- Teaching women that their body is not an ornament, but a vehicle to their dreams
- Teaching women to arm themselves with the skills which will make them resilient and unshakable when bombarded with negative body image in the media
- Being healthy at every weight
Finally, we encourage open communication and positive support between women everywhere. We have a community of like-minded women (and men) who connect, converse, inspire and share their stories via our Facebook page, our website and Twitter. We welcome your participation in this brave new movement. Body Image Movement.
I can’t create a movement on my own, I need your help. Join the movement by simply entering your email address.(that’s it) It means I’m not standing alone, and should the time come where I need to call on women and men across the world for support then at least we are connected. (Oh and if I post a naked photo on Facebook and they happen to shut down my account at least I won’t lose touch with 25,000+ of you!)